Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Obituary

You know that I will miss you. We have been together for what seems like eternity, yet time went so fast because we had each other. I don't think I have ever truly told you, how much I really love you. We have been through so much together, share so many experiences. I cannot imagine the hole you will leave in my heart. My little heart, that truly belongs to you. Ever since I met you, I was yours. It breaks my heart to see you go the way you did. Someone great like you deserves the best ending, but why do I seem to be the only one to realize that? They didn't treat you well. Trampled on you. Nobody even tried to give you the illusion of survival. Don't they know the least bit about treating someone that is dying well? Apparently not. The way all those people manhandled you, without any care, and you didn't even know their names. I didn't even know their names. And that is supposed to be a good ending?
You know you will be replaced. You knew it before you went, and you did not protest. But trust me when I say that I know even with your replacement, I never will be as happy as I was with you. How could I ever be? The fondest memories, the most beautiful hours of my life I have spent with you! Regardless of the weather, regardless of my mood, you were there for me, and I was with you, I felt at home. Is there anything you didn't do for me? Sure, there were other people. I had to share you. I didn't like it, I wish I could have had you all for myself. But was there anyone who loved you like I did? Anyone who took care of you the way I did? I kept the dirt away from you when no one else could, I made sure that everybody treated you the way you should be treated. With the uttermost respect. Yet, when you needed me the most, I couldn't keep away the angels of death that drove you from this world. I knew, the second I saw them close to you, that you wouldn't survive.
And still, I couldn't change it. Trust me, I tried! They looked at me like I was crazy. Told me, there was no way you would make it long anyways. They lied to me! I know deep in my heart that without them, you would never have died. Oh, why couldn't I prevent it? Why couldn't I, the one person you trusted, make sure that you will remain with me for the ages? I want to answer this question for myself, but I can't. They told me that in a couple of years I will love your replacement as much as I loved you and that I will have forgotten you, but I know that it will never happen. I might get over the crucifying pain I have right now, but I will never forget you. Never forget how you were by my side every day, in every weather. Never forget how I took care of you, washed you, made sure you looked as good as possible.
And boy, did you look good! Every time someone walked by, an invisible force caused him to turn his head and look at you. If we would have gotten money for every time someone looked at you, every time someone took a picture of you, maybe we could have fixed you. Maybe we would still be together. Maybe, I could still experience that feeling I had when I was with you, taking care of you, stroking your outside, and working my way into your beautiful, breathtaking inside. Our connection was more than just physical, more than just emotional. It was both, we loved each other both with body and mind.
They will have a party on your grave. Everyone in the area is going to come and celebrate your death. Finally, they say, it was about time! You were rotten they say, a safety risk. They wouldn't have wanted to come close to you, rather stayed away. Oh, those unfaithful bastards! When you were young, everybody wanted to be with you but as soon as you got old, they forgot all about you. Instead of complaining about you now, can't they remember the old times in which you meant to them what you mean to me now? But now, they can't wait for your replacement. Finally, they say, something is being done! And once it is ready to operate, they will forget about you in a heartbeat. But I won't. You will remain in my heart forever, because I love you. I love you, more than I could ever love a person.


Farewell, Science Center
The Janitor

No comments:

Post a Comment